HT1100 Modem?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Docu...

When will this modem be available? What does it offer over the HT1000? (I see it seems to have a gigabit LAN port!) What does the USB port do? Can it make sandwiches? Does it have red LEDs to look like HAL? Can we set our own DNS servers? Does it take over the world when we sleep at night?

Oh, the anticipation!

~HF
Photo of JacksonTech

JacksonTech

• 149 Posts
  • 64 Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of William

William

• 588 Posts
  • 721 Likes
I am curious about this too....
Photo of Charles Scott

Charles Scott, Champion

• 2877 Posts
  • 1442 Likes
I can only say the following...

HT1100 is under testing most likely, and offers various improvements over the HT1000. The USB port does nothing currently, but may have future uses.

I can't say anything aside from the fact that it can, and will make sandwiches as requested, it may also flip pancakes once in awhile if you are nice to it, and give it good night kisses.

Note that the PDF states July 1, 2013.
Photo of TimJ

TimJ, Champion

• 699 Posts
  • 200 Likes
lol you remember what we was told it for your cell phone charging
Photo of Suz

Suz

• 6197 Posts
  • 158 Likes
Hi HF, the HT1100 has a different chip design, but the performance is the same as the HT1000 and the USB port is inactive. Unfortunately, it cannot make sandwiches or aid in world domination. :) Suz
Photo of JacksonTech

JacksonTech

• 149 Posts
  • 64 Likes
Oh, drat--I mean, great, we won't be taking part in Skynet! My relief is almost palpable.

Thanks for the quick response, Suz.
Photo of Willie Fred Hall Jr

Willie Fred Hall Jr

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Like
My HT1100 looses connection after 1 hr use. Very poor so far. Suspect overheating. Any clues? Sit it on a cooling pad?
Photo of Suz

Suz

• 6197 Posts
  • 158 Likes
Hi Willie, where is it located? Is it in an open, ventilated area without anything blocking the air vents? If you have suspicions that it's overheating, please give us a call (866-347-3292) so that we can address this quickly for you. Suz
Photo of Angela Haislip

Angela Haislip

• 33 Posts
  • 9 Likes
My ht1100 spends more time not working than it does working.....I have called numerous times but nothing is fixed as of yet. A tech came out to replace the part on the dish but that didnt even fix the problem and he left before it had time to stop working and then when I called him he said he closed the ticket and there was nothing he can do. Very poor service and customer service for the past few months
Photo of Liz

Liz, Official Rep

• 2756 Posts
  • 723 Likes
Hi Angela,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Go ahead and start a new post so we can focus on addressing your concerns. Be sure to include a case number or your modem's serial number (located on the bottom) so we can pull up your account.

Thanks,
Liz
Photo of JacksonTech

JacksonTech

• 149 Posts
  • 64 Likes
Is there a beta testing program for the modem? I would love to test it. I seem to be a magnet for attracting weird edge cases and my network is far more complicated than most users'. If it works here, it should work anywhere. :P
Photo of Suz

Suz

• 6197 Posts
  • 158 Likes
Hi HF, unfortunately our beta testing program for this modem has ended. We always have new opportunities however, so please feel free to send an email to communitysupport@hughes.com with your account number and your community username so that we have your information. :)

Suz
Photo of TimJ

TimJ, Champion

• 699 Posts
  • 200 Likes
the usb port is good to charge your cell .as function none at this time . Far as complicated networks lol Charles Scott takes the cakes
Photo of JacksonTech

JacksonTech

• 149 Posts
  • 64 Likes
Come on, I can fit another modem in here somewhere!

The network is prone to spontaneous re-arrangements, random bouts of destruction, etc. Router 1 is also a VPN server running an instance for external connections and an instance for internal (wireless) connections.

I have NO idea how to work this diagram utility, so some of the icons are probably wrong.

~HF
Photo of JacksonTech

JacksonTech

• 149 Posts
  • 64 Likes
Consumer hardware (translation: aging computers), CentOS 6 and pfSense. DD-WRT on the WAPs.

I'm considering switching the CentOS routers to something else because of the upstream kernel's decision to disable accepting IPv6 router announcements when IPv6 forwarding is enabled. I dislike the idea of using the centosplus kernel. (Hence, I haven't gotten IPv6 distributed to the entire network yet.) Any suggestions?

I'm waiting for pfSense to hit 2.1 (and full IPv6 support) before deploying it. The RC is hopeful, but there's a regression in one of the NIC drivers and a few other things that need polished before I would feel comfortable using it.

I need to get some newer hardware; the router I'm using is left over from my experiments as a child. It's a Celeron box that been running for years without a fan on its heatsink with a CF card as a hard drive. I'm eyeing a nice little Atom server as a replacement...
Photo of Charles Scott

Charles Scott, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1257 Likes
HF, me and you are in both the same boat... Though PFSense 2.1RC is doing great, the HT1100 and HT1000 exhibit behavior that results in the NIC driver going flaky with 2.1. I made a few posts about it on the PFSense boards, but it seems no one cares that if the link on any interface ever goes down in any fashion, that you essentially have to reboot the OS.

If they ever fix IPv6, and the NIC issue, I eventually plan on building 3 new routers using the 2.1 release and having all three being Atom based. But, with the way they are going about things the last several months, I may have to give up on PFSense and go to consumer grade routers just so I can have my lovely IPv6 and not have to worry about a NIC driver glitching.
Photo of JacksonTech

JacksonTech

• 149 Posts
  • 64 Likes
What NIC? I had issues with the built-in FXP (Intel Pro 100) on one of my motherboards under pfSense. If you so much as looked at it funny, it would start to cycle the link on and off--5 seconds on, 5 seconds off. It looks like some sort of driver regression in FreeBSD 8.3 or 8.4.

Mind you, this was connected to a gigabit switch, not the HT1000.

I tested a few old cards and had good luck with a 3com gigabit card (3c940) and a 3com Fast Ethernet XL card (3c90x) and I think an add-on RTL8139 card. However: two thumbs down on Realtek integrated cards...

I'm considering Debian for routing. I'll have to re-learn the Debian Way, however. I've been spoiled by Red Hat. :)

~HF
Photo of Charles Scott

Charles Scott, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1257 Likes
Oh, and there is also another bug that I have seen with PFSense 2.1RC, glitch it right and you will fill the disk space up entirely and the install will be junked.
Photo of JacksonTech

JacksonTech

• 149 Posts
  • 64 Likes
I haven't run into that yet because I've mostly been testing with a Live CD. I'll throw it on one of the boxen and see what happens later.

Seeing as how HughesNet seems to have broken Google over IPv6 lately though, I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade. :)

~HF
Photo of sgoshe

sgoshe

• 4949 Posts
  • 3057 Likes
Is this in your house? Are you a mad scientist? You too Charles.
Photo of Charles Scott

Charles Scott, Champion

• 2877 Posts
  • 1442 Likes
No, just a geek that loves his movies and living in a rather large house.
Photo of JacksonTech

JacksonTech

• 149 Posts
  • 64 Likes
Yes, it's in my house. Shh, I'm building Skynet. Don't make her angry!

~HF
Photo of TimJ

TimJ, Champion

• 699 Posts
  • 200 Likes
lol I running 6 to 8 computers 4 routers two modems VOIP 3 DVRs networked 3 blu-rays and sling load
Photo of Paul Young

Paul Young

• 1346 Posts
  • 852 Likes
So is all of this a pre-requisite for beta? :)
Photo of TimJ

TimJ, Champion

• 694 Posts
  • 189 Likes
lol nope the main pre-requisite is to be extremely Good looking
Photo of TimJ

TimJ, Champion

• 694 Posts
  • 189 Likes
Paul lol I put the word in for ya
Photo of Paul Young

Paul Young

• 1346 Posts
  • 852 Likes
Thanks but not me, put it in for HF.
Photo of JacksonTech

JacksonTech

• 149 Posts
  • 64 Likes
Yeah, I promise I won't break the modem! Or "improve" it with duct tape!

~HF
Photo of TimJ

TimJ, Champion

• 694 Posts
  • 189 Likes
lol the duct tape and the cardboard came in handy on the old HN9000 box for external fans \\
Photo of Way

Way

• 241 Posts
  • 50 Likes
I think the number was changed to confuse the innocence!
Photo of Larry Kelly

Larry Kelly

• 83 Posts
  • 9 Likes
I had GEN4 and the HT1100 was installed.

Makes a great nightlight with its bright blues, and the grey color goes nicely with my hair. The USB port is for the always mysterious "future use - Hughes will let you know when they are good and ready".

My service technician threw the first HT1100 he attempted to install on the floor in disgust as it wasted an hour of his time. Second one worked fine, but he said he is seeing a 50% failure rate out of the box. Blames final inspection quality assurance.

GEN4 is working great for me so far. Speedtest result at 9:00 PM was 10.1 MPS for download compared to 0.94 MPS at 9:00 that morning via my HN9000.

Larry
Photo of Charles Scott

Charles Scott, Champion

• 2829 Posts
  • 1338 Likes
I have a feeling that installer doesn't know what he is doing if he sees a high failure rate. Throwing $400 equipment on the ground can damage it and make it faulty... Out of everyone I know of, none have had a defective HT1100, though it is a bit difficult to get installed and talking with the gateway properly.
Photo of Suz

Suz

• 6197 Posts
  • 158 Likes
Larry, the HT1100 does not have a 50% failure rate. The installer gave you incorrect information. Also, he should not have thrown it on the floor. Please post your case number so that I can investigate this. Thanks, Suz
Photo of sgoshe

sgoshe

• 4852 Posts
  • 2838 Likes
The self-replacement, HT1000 to HT1100, I did several days ago went smooth as silk. The modem is working perfectly at this time. Well, as perfectly as any electronic device can that is.

Charles, maybe because I was already a registered site but my modem came up on its own in about 15 minutes. The instructions said to give it 30 minutes but I had all blue lights in half that time.
Photo of Charles Scott

Charles Scott, Champion

• 2829 Posts
  • 1338 Likes
sgoshe, remember, I get things a bit early for a reason ;) Some people it goes smoothly, others can get strange errors mid-activation and have to do a hard reset and start over.
Photo of Larry Kelly

Larry Kelly

• 83 Posts
  • 9 Likes
Don't want to get anyone in trouble. These guys are overbooked and here in rual Appalachia, working a tough beat.
Photo of Suz

Suz

• 6197 Posts
  • 158 Likes
Hi Larry, I'm glad that you are happy with your service and thanks for the post!
Suz
Photo of Charles Scott

Charles Scott, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1257 Likes
Brandon, in the future please omit emails, phone numbers, addresses, account numbers, DSS numbers, and so on. Also, games like Call of Duty is not supported via satellite. While some games can work, split second games such as Halo, Call of Duty, or anything that requires latency below 150ms will not work with satellite internet.
Photo of Suz

Suz

• 6197 Posts
  • 158 Likes
Photo of Suz

Suz

• 6197 Posts
  • 158 Likes
Hi Brandon, you may want to these links http://community.myhughesnet.com/hugh... and here http://community.myhughesnet.com/hugh... for some helpful information. Suz
Photo of TimJ

TimJ, Champion

• 699 Posts
  • 200 Likes
Hi Brandon MY suggestion is to Disable the Web Acceleration Control. Try it it has worked for others with playstation and Xbox . If you need help with this let me know. Get to you asap . Tim
Photo of Suz

Suz

• 6197 Posts
  • 158 Likes
Hi Tim and thank you! :) Happy Monday and I hope you had a great weekend! Suz
Photo of TimJ

TimJ, Champion

• 699 Posts
  • 200 Likes
Hi Suz Happy Monday to you and hope you have great week
Photo of Colette Rofe'

Colette Rofe'

• 30 Posts
  • 5 Likes
I have this modem. I was told there's a problem with it. Haven't had internet since Saturday and we're brand new customers. :(
Photo of Colette Rofe'

Colette Rofe'

• 30 Posts
  • 5 Likes
I have this modem. I was told there's a problem with it. Haven't had internet since Saturday and we're brand new customers. :(
Photo of Suz

Suz

• 6197 Posts
  • 157 Likes
Hi Colette, it sounds like you are already working with us but I'd like to find out what is happening with your modem and make sure that things are being addressed. Unfortunately I can't find your account in our system by your username. If you can post your case number it will allow me to pull up your account and system information.

Thanks,
Suz
Photo of Colette Rofe'

Colette Rofe'

• 30 Posts
  • 5 Likes
Thanks, it's 37496936.