Unable to view HT-1100 Modem Statistics directly from LAN side of Router

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
After lengthly experimentation to connect my newly installed HN Modem to a brand new Apple AirPort Extreme to use the AAE as my Router and as my DHCP Sever I finally succeeded.
In my success however, I can no longer access the HN modem using the 192.168.0.1 or DN, as it's on a different subnet.
I have meticulously documented all of my settings on the following web page rather than waste excessive space here as well as to provide a "How-To" guide for anyone else using the same equipment who might benefit.

MY QUESTION IS: How can I access the HN Modem from my desktop directly?
Documentation is here:

http://www.orijinations.com/Orijinati...

TIA,
John
Ocean City, NJ
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
You have rather complex network setup and I am far from an expert but:
The modems "Internals", the SCC (System Control Center) is located at 192.168.0.1 period, no way around it, no way to change it.

If you can't see SCC, on a simpler network, it would be because "something else" on the LAN side of your network is trying to "share" that address and that isn't going to work.

For several reasons, Hughesnet only follows about 60% of normal networking "rules". The other 40% you can just toss away.

I can't begin to tell you how many "Network Engine-Ears" have popped in over the years insisting that Hughes was slamming the doors on various ports needed to do "normal" networking tasks, remote cameras and so on.
Some are almost ready to fight !

This IS Hughes, support in the lower tiers, is script driven and half a world away.

Then you have an Apple Router, known to be a difficult setup on a simple network setup and yours is far from simple.

Suggestions ?
As a Test, "simplify" your network, try a differant (Netgear ?) :

Modem/router/switch/switch ?

The thing is, if you open a browset and enter: 192.168.0.1 it should lead to the SCC.
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thank you Gwalk900 for taking the time and effort to reply. I greatly appreciate it.
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
If I one my brewer and point it to 192.168.0.1 I get an error that the browser can not find the server.
Also, I just invested several hundred dollars in Apple AirPorts, for the sake of compatibility, since I'm all MAC based on my LAN and WiFi.
Didn't realize the AirPort was so limited.
Photo of Folkmuse

Folkmuse

• 94 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I find this interesting, I can access my modem but never has the hourly statistics there. Another problems is lately I often cannot get the home page my.hughesnet.com to download. In the last few days I haven't been able to get it to download at all.

I also have had to consistently reboot the modem on more than a few occasions each day. In the mornings when I am in Bonus Bytes this has become a problem when downloading larger files. Today I had to reset the modem three times to down load a 2GB file, twice losing it about a third of the way through the download. It finally completed the download but I am finding this a consistent problem with downloads.

As Gwalk 900 stated the support people are not hardly worth contacting. Over the years before I recently went to Gen 4 I pretty much gave up on support and even now I am reluctant to waste my time with them.

If I could just bypass them I might use them more often, but wasting all that time going through the "scripted" stuff is a real pain as I have that basic script already down and am not interested in going through it time after time.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
Folkmuse,

Hourly HISTORY isn't found in SCC, I have made this list of resources and where they can be found along with my own opinion of them:

Usage Meter in SCC: (192.168.0.1)
Always available but limited to a displayed accuracy of .1 Gb or 100 Mb.
Far from being a "fine" enough readout to parcel out usage on the smaller plans.

Download Usage Meter: (in downloads http://my.hughesner.com)
A nice little "companion" to the SCC meter, sits in your computers Notification Area.
It resolves to 1% increments, 1% of a 15 GB plan is 150 Mb. Just not fine enough for parceling out data on a daily basis. Or you may open the application and it will show to the nearest 100 Mb. Still not good enough for effective management.

Traditional Hourly History Usage page:
Found under TOOLS/CHECK USAGE at http://customercare.myhughesnet.com

A nice tool, but it is a History page, giving delayed, after the fact info that Rocky's answer tells me is totally useless in trying to track and control a subscribers usage.
The other big issue with it is, it is getting very rare that the page is accessible when you need it.

The Histogram style Hourly History Usage display.
Found, if you are able to open the page, at http://my.hughesnet.com

Totally useless, a pretty display of delayed usage divided into separate graphs of upload & download.

Again useless as a tool to help a subscriber monitor and control usage as the answer that Rocky passed onto me has shown.

The "Usage At a Glance" Meter also found within the seldom accessible my.hughesnet.com webpage.

This is the meter that should be "native" to the usage display in SCC.

The big one here: Maybe the page where it resides will open and maybe it won't.
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Well, me again. Same problem.
Can't log into the Modem because I'm using a router.
So I have to take the long way and browse to:
http://my.hughesnet.com and login with password.
It works, to show my usage, but it's slow and arduous.
I still wish there was away I could address the Modem "directly" from my desktop on my LAN.

John
Photo of sgoshe

sgoshe

• 5340 Posts
  • 3399 Reply Likes
John, as Gwalk is saying, 192.168.0.1 must not show up anywhere in your router settings. The 192.168.0.1 address IS the direct modem access and you can't have anything conflicting with that address.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
John,

You are far from the first that had a hard time with an Apple router.

As a suggestion, look at a Netgear WNDR4300
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/...

I have a Netgear WNR2000. HT1100 Modem's output > WNR2000 WAN port using these settings:

It surely does seem that you could add to LAN capacity by adding a switch (or two) to the Netgear routers LAN port (s).

Any computers connected to one of the switches should be able to "see" the modem thru the Netgear router as long as the Routers internal LAN settings don't conflict with 192.168.0.1
Look at my highlighted router LAN settings.

A quick glance at the WNDR4300 seems to indicate MAC friendly:
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
John,
I assume in your documentation pics you didn't show the Hughes Modem, but .....I believe you have your Routers LAN setting to include the Modems mandated address:

192.168.0.1 IS THE MODEM.
you have it as the starting address in your Routers LAN Setting.

Copy the settings but I suggest you substitute what I have and give it a try

vs:

Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Gwalk900,
Thank you for all your insights.
I'm not sure how to set the AE LAN IP address, because if I don't use DHCP then I can't connect to the internet, ostensibly because the cryptic DNS paths don't get resolved, not sure, unless using DHCP.
Looking further, I do see in the AE Network Settings tab a "Reservations" section where perhaps I could enter the 192.168.0.1 IP address.
My head is spinning from all the frustration. I need to distance myself by stepping away for a day or so, and starting fresh.
A million thanks,
John
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
Understood John,
However, if you look at my settings:

My LAN IP Starts with 192.168.1.1 compared to yours starting with 192.168.0.1...that is the no-no

Also if you look at the bottom portion of my snip, DHCP enabled on my router.

Conclusion:
As a test, recreate my LAN IP settings on your AirPort Extreme.
or Dump the Apple Routers and go Netgear.

I router, and two switches (or two routers used in switch mode.

Additionally you may find a more knowledgeable crowd here for general Networking:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/network

And here for specifics non wireless aspects:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wlan

And finally a handful on Apple Networking including Airport Extreme and subnets:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/macds...
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
I did run across this:

vbuell Currently Being Moderated
Jul 22, 2010 8:02 AM I have been using a LinkSysy router, which had router address of 192.168.1.1, distributing IP addresses 192.168.1.100 - 250. This router is getting old so I have decided to switch over to Airport Extreme. I have tried setting it up with the same addresses, and connected directly to the cable modem. for some reason it does not connect to the internet nor distribute IP address.
Does the Airport Extreme have a per-determined router address or can the user select between 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.1.1???
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong with the setup.?

cheers.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/...
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Well . . . .
I can't believe it but I can now access my HT-1100 Modem from my LAN simply by entering it's IP address of 100.104.128.241 !!!!!!!!!

I don't understand why it is working, as the Modem is on a separate net block, and it didn't used to connect, but now it does !!!!!!!

So, thank you ALL for your ideas and support.

All the best,
John
Ocean City, NJ
Photo of John

John

• 389 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Good morning, John. Thank you for the update and it is great to hear it is working well for you!

Thank you,
John
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Again, thank you all, both HughesNet staff and forum members for getting me through my particular setup. I'll update the How-To guide and leave it posted for anyone who may need it. Here's the address again:

http://www.orijinations.com/Orijinati...

Now that I have my cake and can eat it too, I think I'll keep my old DSL connection running as a separate LAN, in addition to my new HughesNet connection. I don't need or want to aggregate the connections because my current setup is already too convoluted.

One thing though, I'll have to figure out some way to print from EITHER LAN to my network printers as they will end up on one or the other LANS but not BOTH. Not a big deal, but if anyone knows an "easy" fix to accomplish printing from EITHER LAN to my network printer please feel free to chime in. I'm all ears.

A MILLION THANKS AGAIN TO ALL ! ! !

John
Ocean City, NJ
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
As a side note, I noticed that the IP address of my HN Modem "changed" at some point. Don't know why, as I never rebooted it or reset it, etc. The first two octets stayed the same, but the last two changed.

Is this normal, and if so how often and why would this occur?

TIA,
John
Photo of Charles Scott

Charles Scott, Champion

• 3223 Posts
  • 1652 Reply Likes
John, it can occur every 2 minutes. The network address is private address space, what you are essentially doing is doing a loopback into your own modem when visiting while using that address.
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Still toying with my setup to find the best solution. So far my download speed is right on, but there's still a slight latency in my DNS resolution. I came across a HT-1100 setting in the advanced section to choose which device to use as "the" router, and currently the "Default" is selection, which I assume means the Modem.
As noted above, I am however using my AE as a router to create a netblock of 192.168.0.xxx, etc, with a dynamic scoped DHCP server as well.
My question is, should I select "Alt. Router" in the "Router Preference" drop-down?
Image attached.
TIA,
John
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
John,
I thought we had toyed with the ALT Router setting before.

It seems that the setting DID involve Apple Routers but I cant for the life of me remember the details.

Maybe this will catch the eye of Sgoshe or Charles McCool, they may have been involved.

I'll try to hunt up the thread.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
John,
We had referenced it here:

http://community.myhughesnet.com/hugh...

But I don't think we ran it through to resolution,

We need to attract Charles Scott, Charles McCool & Sgoshe to this.
Photo of sgoshe

sgoshe

• 5433 Posts
  • 3443 Reply Likes
Hey Gwalk and John, yea we talked about this some time back and can't remember where it is buried. Seems that setting does affect how the modem and router interact and it was said that it was useful for Mac setups.

I don't know if it was ever actually proven to help. John, if you have the time to experiment then I guess it wouldn't hurt to try playing with the setting.

Will try to see if Jackson Tech wrote anything on it.
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
hhhhmmmm....... my sense, based upon the inability to specify any meaningful router settings in the first place, leads me to exercise caution in even "attempting" to choose the "Alternate Router" in the drop down box for fear it could leave me without an Internet connection.
Anyone there at HughesNet, please feel free to chime in.
TIA,
John
Photo of sgoshe

sgoshe

• 5433 Posts
  • 3443 Reply Likes
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
That the one I was thinking of Steve, good catch !
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
Hi Steve, I hoped you would pop in.

John, read this:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r2886...

John, can you post your routers model #, version / rev # and firmware version. I would like to download the manual and give it a good read.

Also John, if you would like to communicate by IM go to:

www.ricksyakshack.com

Register and make a "hello" post in the "computer questions" area.
That would allow some "back & forth" without muddying up the Hughes forum with non-Hughes issues.

Sgoshe, you too may wish to do so as we don't and won't have a PM system available to us.
Photo of sgoshe

sgoshe

• 5433 Posts
  • 3443 Reply Likes
Thanks for the invite Gwalk, now I know where to go to bug you. :)

I think John should post a new topic directed at Sara to get the final answer on this.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
Just a good way to replace the PM system we will never have here.
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thank you sgoshe for the reference. I found a response on this topic from a HN employee as follows:

"Good morning HF, I need to clarify, only Apple router (airport) users are influenced. The default setting will work with all routers however, if you are using an airport we advise that you change from the default setting to the "Alt. Router" setting. I've also added a line to my answer above that clarifies this. Thank you, Sara"

I guess my next question is, if I change from the default to alternate router, will there be any unintended or problematic issues, or is a simple "click" to select my Apple alternate router the end of this? i.e., will I need to make any additional adjustments to my AE?
John
Photo of sgoshe

sgoshe

• 5340 Posts
  • 3399 Reply Likes
Since I have never had to use it and have no Apple routers, I can not say other than it should be transparent I would think.

Hopefully, Sara will jump in here. Maybe even post a new topic addressed to her.
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I'm using a HughesNet HT-1100 with an
Apple AirPort Extreme Model A1521(11/2013), v7.7.2
John
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4495 Posts
  • 4627 Reply Likes
I got the manual, will look it over during the weekend and see if anything pops out at me.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900

• 4537 Posts
  • 4674 Reply Likes
John,
I would copy down every setting and everywhere.

Make the change in the modem.
Remove AC power from Modem and Router(s)
Shut down the computers.

Power up the Modem
Power up the router(s)
power up the computer.

Double check that the ALT setting in the Modem didn't revert back to default on the modem reboot.
Photo of John Hay

John Hay

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Alas, I must agree, however I have grown sooooo tired and weery of hours turning into days turning into weeks of troubleshooting that I'm a little gun-shy at this point.
If it's a simple matter of just clicking the "Router Preference" drop down box and that's the end of it then I'm ahead of the game.
As you are well aware, ofttimes the best laid plans go astray and before you know it you've lost another week of your time just putting all the pieces back the way they were.
Clearly I must document EVERYTHING before I even attempt the change, but I wish there was a way I could just communicate directly with Sara about this as she seems to be aware of the issues. I clicked on her employee icon but don't see any way to contact her directly.
I have to take a brake for a while. My head is spinning again.
As you know this could be a quick and easy fix or a nightmare!
John