What is the expected download speed for a power 150 level of service?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: -it’s a subscriber-specific issue that’s been resolved/inactive for a long time -it’s inactive and doesn’t provide future value -the info is out of date Archived threads on useful topics will be updated and reposted for all to access.

What download speed should I expect under a power 150 level of service? I spent a long time on the phone with tech support at she is telling me that a download speed of 500 (using the Hughesnet performance test) is normal for this acccount. This is about as good as it gets (averaging five tests in a row). Probably more annoying is that she was much more interested is signing me up for the new Gen4 service than solving my problem.
Photo of Dave CummensDC

Dave Cummens

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of asdfth12A

asdfth12

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If I'm getting my conversions right, then 1.5 Megabits (Which is how the speed is advertised) should be 192 kilobytes.

If your getting half a MB per second, then your actually getting much higher then that packages minimum speed.
Photo of Charles R. Scott

Charles R. Scott, Champion

• 3471 Posts
  • 1753 Reply Likes
On the current Power150 plan with a 1.5Mbps download rate, in the HN SpeedTest you should be seeing far more than the 500 you claimed. It is measured in kbps not KBps (KB/s), so for the 1.5Mbps plan it should show, if I am not mistaken, ~1500kbps. I usually see ~3000kbps. Why they just don't do the simple math to go from kilo to mega is beyond me, but this all applies only if you have not hit the FAP Policy.

Which modem are you using? HN9000, 9200, or 7000? What is the signal strength of said modem? It usually doesn't affect the speed much, but once the signal is bad enough, you will suffer enough packet loss to result in reduced performance.

Have you tried resetting the modem and your router if you have one?

As far as I am aware, no one can sign up for Gen4 just yet, as the satellite isn't even off the ground, they was probably trying to ask if you would like information to be given when it is available for an upgrade path.

asdfth12:
Please remember the different between Kbps, KBps (really it's KB/s), Mbps and MB/s
Kbps = Kilobits
KB/s = Kilobytes
Mbps = Megabits
MB/s = Megabytes

The HN test is done in Kbps, not the KB/s or Mbps most others would show. Though you would be right if the test was done in KB/s.
Photo of Dave CummensDC

Dave Cummens

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply.
I am using a HN9000. They have done a "factory reset". The results are constant (bad) whether I am plugged directly into the modem or running through the router. Signal strength is 175.

They were mostly interested in signing me up on the "waiting list" for the Gen4. This way I will some great benefits (to be determined at a later date) by signing up now.

The problem has become less annoying since we threw money at the problem and upgraded to Power200. The D/L speed is now around 1700. The interesting numbers are from testmy.net which reports the D/L speed at 11.6 MBps.

• 3471 Posts
  • 1753 Reply Likes
Most all "speed" tests won't show right due to how HN "optimizes" the traffic on port 80.
I am on an older 1.5Mbps plan and normally see ~3.0Mbps, but testing at some websites shows much faster.

The HN test is the only one that actually reports a consistent test that goes along with how fast things feel.
Photo of marsh_0x

marsh_0x

• 1025 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Exactly, tho I'd prefer using compression as proven at TMN.
Actually happened 14 Dec 11 HN did a change and speed tests there are artificially high ever since.
7 year member there with 4,436 tests stored online is nice to have.
http://testmy.net/ipb/topic/29482-tes...

If you turn off turbo page then becomes accurate compared to HN test which is my reference besides a download from a dedicated server, haha You Tube can be a comedy.

Hi C0RR0SIVE lucky you along with a neighbor still seeing that 3.4-4mb/s that I had for 3 months, back to plan (1.5) usually 1440kb/s so it was a gift, but no big deal.

Hi Dave Cummens
Darn can't image TMN of 98Mb/s

• 3471 Posts
  • 1753 Reply Likes
The thing people don't realize is, most every web service these days will do as HN does. I suspect HN does something similar to what my router does, they cache the most commonly accessed data, quiet possibly up on the satellite and feed it back, much faster having semi-local data caches. I can actually fake my HN results due to my router if I wanted to, but that is just ignorant in the end. xD

BTW, that ~3.0Mbps is starting to disappear, starting to see my old 1.5Mbps more often these days, I suspect congestion or HN is finally starting to put me in my plans limits.
Photo of Sara for Hughes

Sara for Hughes

• 4956 Posts
  • 200 Reply Likes
Hello Dave, I took a look into your account and made note of the tests already performed on your system. We'll run additional test here. Please let me know if you notice any changes (good or bad) within the next couple of days. Thanks, Sara
Photo of Dave CummensDC

Dave Cummens

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for looking. The numbers will change (speed test) since I've upgraded to the Power200 plan. But they still seem low even for that plan.
Photo of Dave CummensDC

Dave Cummens

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So, Let's see if got this speed thing figured out correctly.

Let's say that the HughesNet performance test indicates 1500 as a D/L speed.

I now know that that means 1500 Kilobits per second. (Good so far?)
Therefore the following numbers are true....

187 KB/s (Kilobytes per second)
0.183105 MB/s (Megabytes per second)
1.464844 Mpbs (Megabits per second)

On a Power150 plan HN tries to deliver 1.5 Mbps or 250 kbps.

Isn't math fun? Thanks to C0RR0SIVE for the detailed explanation of the different speed abbreviations. So in the end on a Power150 account the 1500's I see are good, the 500's are bad. Hopefully things will get better.
Photo of Sara for Hughes

Sara for Hughes

• 4956 Posts
  • 200 Reply Likes
Hello Dave, we ran additional site diagnostics on your system and found all parameters up and operating normally. In addition, we found no hardware issues. Your speed test from 5/29 had weather interference and current speed test as of yesterday are well within specs of the service plan. Having said that we did see interruption in your service on a number of occasions since April so I recommend additional on site investigation to possibly replace cables and connectors, check the grounding block, the outdoor unit... please expect a call from us shortly. Thank you, Sara
Photo of Dave CummensDC

Dave Cummens

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for your help. Yes, they called me this afternoon and are going to "roll a truck". He gave a good explanation of some of the many things that can go wrong with what seems like a simple transmit/receive of data. Yes, other than occasionally "getting stuck" the speed levels have been very good, Thanks again.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.