Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Why your meter doesn't refill to 100% anymore. Banking (rollover) in a nutshell...

We are still getting alot of people misunderstanding how the rollover work so I decided I would try and post an explanation as a topic so that maybe people would notice it and get an explanation for it.

If you have the rollover your reset will give you the same amount that it always has but the meter will now see that as 50% since you allowance bucket is twice as big. it works like this, and I am using my allowance as an example. Before the rollover feature I had an allowance of 625 MB, when I got the rollover feature my allowance went to 1250 MB but the daily refill and the tokens still only give 625 MB. My meter reads on how much the allowance bucket can hold so now when I use a token or get a refill from 0 the meter shows 50% instead of 100%, the other half of your allowance bucket is used for unused data from the day before. example...

I have 0 mb left and I use a token, I get 625 MB and the meter shows 50%

The next day I have 125 MB left at refill time, I get the 625MB refill added to that 125 MB for a total of 750 MB, my meter reads 60%

The next day I have 375 left when I get a refill of 625 MB added for a total of 1000 MB, my meter shows 80%

The next day I have 700 MB left when I get a refill of 625 MB, since my total allowance is 1250 MB then the refill fills my allowance to 1250 MB and my meter reads 100%
10 people like
this idea
+1
  • And I'd add...

PLEASE HughesNet change the way the Status Meter reports allowance. The meter needs to show either (1) rollover and daily refill separately, (2) MB instead of %, or (3) read up to 200% instead of 100%.

The angry customers who don't, won't or can't understand 50% refills are not good for your business.
    • view 11 more comments
    • I have to agree with you!
    • You guys, HughesNet cannot give us all this speed and bandwidth, because unlike cable, HughesNet uses a satellite. Satellites have a set amount of their OWN bandwidth, which is then split among all of you. If you hate HughesNet so much, get dial-up (or Exede).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

http://www.datastormusers.com/files/h...

Here is a program that will monitor your FAP status in real time. It has many additional features including the ability to kill your computers connection to the modem should you approach FAP (must have only one computer on the network).
    This will put an icon in the system tray down in the bottom left with live numbers you can watch as you surf. This is PC only software. Sorry Mac users.
    • view 6 more comments
    • Elmer,
      I'm not quite sure what kind of argument you want here, but EVERY single thing you've just said in this comment and all your others today is absolutely and totally incorrect.
      If you actually have a technical issue, there are people here willing to help, but don't expect us to waste our time arguing over BS.
    • sorry sir but if you think dialup is faster something is worr with your computer i will never go back to dialup and as far as hughesnet i have always had them to fix anything
      in a sort times so plases stop trying to give them a bad report ok
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

Hello Kevin,

Let me Clear this Out for you today.

Hughesnet has started something called as the Download Bank.
    With this Feature in Plan one can save upto 2 Days of Allowance.
    Know as you have Mentioned that you Daily limit is of 625.
    Know with the Download Bank in Place your Plan Allowance has been Increased to 1250.
    Everyday you will Continue to get 625.

Let talk as to why you get only 50%
    As you may know that 625 is only 50% of 1250
    With the download you can save your Unused MB.

Let take for Example.
    You Recieved your Limit of 625 MB
    You Used only 300 MB, there is still 325 MB Remaining.
    Next Day again you get 625 MB + 325 MB that you have Remaining from the Previous day.
    Know the Status meter Consider your Plan limit to be 1250 and not 625 anymore.
    That is why when you use a Token you get only your Daily Limit of 625 and that is why the status Meter shows only 50%. As 625 is 50% of 1250.

When you save upto 1250 in Daily Download Allowance that is when the status meter will show 100%.
    • view 4 more comments
    • i have the 250 mb plan, and so i have a 500 mb meter... when i've gone down to 0 (very rarely) and apply a token, i suddenly have 300 mb in my meter. so the token doesn't just put 50% in... not for me at least... i've also gone under 250 mb on my meter before, and still awoken the next day to find it full at 500 mb again?
    • Hughes has never officially acknowledged it, but it appears they have some built-in cushion to make sure that folks get a bit more than 1/2 the double-bucket, both at normal refill and with tokens. Since a lot of people don't tell us their plan it is hard to say if it is 50MB or not. If you look at the complaints, it is almost always that "I only got 57%" or similar. Never 50%. They don't tell us how many MB that 57% was for them, or what their plan is.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I think people who already feel burned by the FAP thing just adjusted to a way to keep up with use.I think Hughesnet needs to come up with a simple way to keep up with use.some of us have felt ripped off by the FAP thing and its not that we don't appreciate the attempt to fix things it takes a while to trust when you feel tricked and trapped into a bad deal.
    • view 4 more comments
    • @Kevin There is no avoiding it? How much profit does HughesNet make per quarter? They offer us a service that is Prehistoric in terms of speed but yet they increase the FAP by 50Mb in the 7 years I have had it. The sheer size of files has grown way more than that. we are getting RIPPED OFF!!!!! They know we are stuck with their crappy service and dont have to do anything about it.

I would be willing to bet that they dont use their own service at HQ and that none of the big wigs have the service at their house.
    • Because HughesNet is now owned by Echostar we only have information that is over a year old, but we have many years of profit data prior to that. I would guess, from your comments, that you would be flabbergasted to learn that Hughes used to be completely unprofitable (as in: having a loss every quarter), and that when they finally did make a profit they never made a big one, ever. People never seem to realize just how expensive the satellite industry is.

As far as using it at HQ, or customers leaving as soon as something better comes along, both have obvious answers that are no-brainers, and have nothing to do with providing service to those who are not in places where such service exists.

Where would you be if Hughes had never gotten off the ground? At the time, it was considered gospel that nobody could make consumer satellite economically possible. Nobody else has ever succeeded. Do you think the competition (Starband and WildBlue/Exede) are profitable? Snort. Think again. The reason ViaSat owns WildBlue is because they were their biggest creditor, and it was the only way they could see to get some of their investment back.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thank you for all of your great suggestions and explanations! Status Meter percentage display is now a scheduled update! We’re diligently working to change the way percentages display in our next roll out. I’ll share a timeline with you as soon as I have one. Thank you again! Sara
    • Sara please tell me where to go to find some educational reading on hughesnet tools, login problems, status meter completely depleted after using a restore token, and then completely at zero again after using a second token. wasn't downloading either. I don't even know how to use the download manager because after trying to download during free time i can not make heads or tales out of what actually downloaded, and i can't find where the specific download is. how do i donwload ONLY the video i want without all of the numerous links and pictures that are also there on link? Thank you in advance.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

Yeah! The sooner the better! The confusion just can't seem to be overcome.
    Thanks for jumping on this one Sara.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Bumping this back to the top cause the questions are starting to come again.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Hi Kevin

Exactly needs a bump from 10 days ago, well explained should be a Sticky at the top, not a page buried so many deep to search for an answer...

Marsh
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Still looking forward to getting confused by the 50% on the usage meter. It's Feb 1 and still no evidence of rollover on my HN7000S - hope springs eternal though :)
    Given my varied daily usage patterns this will be of great benefit for me - glad they're attempting to implement it..............
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The rollover system works great, you just have to get used to the fact that 2 days worth of download equals 100%, 1 day equals 50%. Keep up the good work Hughes.I just received 6 free tokens for being a costumer for 6 months. Thanks Hughes.

Used to be with WB wouldn't go back if they paid me.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Bump from page 2 .
    Sticky time or receive more from me to hide in plain site, nope...

Marsh
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Kevin
    I listened to you and found our local Cellcom cellular tower, wireless 50GB a month ping 0.19 lovely price $42 (sales tax)
    Speed in prime time 850-1000 with a ping 0.19 is incredible.

I'm at 300kbps with HN and not a keeper, 3 months on the contract,
    Life is good but upset with myself to not have not known better.
    ~Life goes on in Different directions~ a motto

I let my neighbor use the only trial modem Cellcom had, day break will be there for mine.
    I shall never forget today and tomorrow
    To be continued...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• That is completely stupid - who could understand all of that gibberish?!!!?? Just make the thing reset to 100% of what you're allowed when you use a token...... GEEZ!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Donna its real easy to read this is from a blonds point of view
    if your at 0 use a token you get 50% if your at 50% you get 100%
    and it you are at 0 at reset time you will get 50% the next day if you dont use any you will get 100 percent you will get us to it it is better than what we had
    what plan are you on..
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m sad
    It's March now and I still haven't gotten any rollover or download bank allowance.The extra tokens that I did get don't even add up to the amount of allowance that I use. Then when I use a restore token it only gives me 50% instead of 100%. I liked it better the way it was before with being reset to 100% every 24 hours.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m sad
    Lisa you cannot use a token until you're completely out at O% so you're always going to get 50% every time you restore. I don't like this and it was not in my contract.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m happy
    Great news,after all my fussing I got almost everything I asked for.Finally.Now I am happy. The rollover bank and tokens before I got rollover bank on HN7000S.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Why do i only get about 56 % daily, instead of the full 500 mg im suppose to get, the 56% lasts me 2 days then i dont get more download for 24 hrs, whick lets me use my computer about 3 times per week/?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    Download Allowance.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• We didn't use our Internet for more than 3 months, yet we kept paying our bill. Wouldn't it have been nice to have banked some of THAT?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m confused & frustrated.
    A little line in the chart on the allowance page could do wonders in understanding rollovers. For me when hitting 50%, panic sets in. Things which got to get done before time/MB run out! Has happened when there should have been some rollover, but nada. Hit the 'run out' mark more than once. Yes I have used the free and have bought tokens even though I did not use even 50% of the daily allowance from the day previously. (Had to use tokens just for 10MB!!)
    Ok, so all hughesnet's explanation are AS CLEAR AS MUD.
    As it is continuously muddily 'explained', when hitting the 50% mark on the download allowance, the meter will 'suddenly' jump to to a larger percentage if one DID NOT USE ALL of your MB allowance from the day before. Is this correct?
    But this math doesn't add up to me. For Example: Day1...didn't use any MB's at all. (Out of town.) On Day 2, when I reach 50% and my allowance will 'jump' to 100%?
    With this math, I have only 150% of the MBs allotted for those 2 days.
    Or should it 'jump' twice to 100% to accommodate the other half of Day 1 allowance not used?
    Yes, I understand "day" constituted any 24 hour period. For example, If I log on at 9am, that begins a 24 hour period. But this 24 hour 'day' ONLY begins the 24 hours 'day' if nothing has been done within the 24 hour 'day' before. So how do I know what is the previous 'day' and when within this 'day' does the MB begin to rollover? Not knowing the 'day' doesn't give any tool or control to the user? Shouldn't the user have some kind of control over their MBs? They're paying for them.
    AT&T will show rollover minutes and data used on their phone plans. And can be checked whenever. It's not a complicated feature. They're counting the minutes and MB as they are being used.
    Hughesnet counts the MBs as they are being used, correct? So what is the problem? The 'limit' and usage begins recording at the modem correct? All part of the modem communication software with the 'home base', correct? So the problem for rollover notification is...?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm